Featured Post

Death March EX

Translations for all side stories that were included in Vol EX of the light novel. Some of these were also uploaded to the author's blo...

Saturday, May 23, 2020

Naming the Magic Swords

"There's nothing fun about making a magic sword."
"Don't worry about that. It's one of a wife's duties to watch over her husband's workplace."
"Nn, duty."
I hesitate on whether to respond that the labyrinth ruins under the city isn't my workplace, or that they aren't my wives.
"Well, fine I guess. It's dangerous, so stay back."
I move a bit away from Arisa and Mia and activate the Force Spell [Magic Mold] from the Menu's spell list.
I select one of the pre-registered patterns that I've used many times before.
This time is the pattern for a one handed broadsword.
I pour the molten copper into the mold.
It's a pain to melt it every time, so I just used the Fire Spell [Forge] to melt a bunch of metal in advance. All of it is stowed away in Storage until I need it.
This mold is customized for making magic swords, so it leaves a cavity inside for the magic circuit.
"Wow, that looks pretty hot."
"Nn, keep going."
Arisa and Mia have changed into cheerleader outfits and are swinging around pom-poms. But I can't lose focus here, so I turn my attention back to the mold.
After the copper has become slightly more solid, I cancel the inner part of the mold and pour the magic liquid into the cavity to create the circuit.
To prevent it from mixing with the semi-molten copper, I activate the Water Spell [Liquid Control] to carefully shape out the circuit within the copper sword.
Now it'll be complete once everything solidifies. The sword will get brittle if I force it to cool down too fast, so I just let it cool naturally.
"You're already done?"
"Easy?"
"Yeah, but it's just a simple magic sword that can't do anything except hold a bit of mana."
If I try to make a more complicated and delicate circuit, the circuit cavities keep getting blocked off early, or the circuit liquid gets clogged somewhere.
I have an idea to use Space Magic to transfer the circuit into the sword, but I'll need Arisa to level up her Space Magic skill first.
If I could get Mia to help with the circuit creation too, then I should be able to develop more advanced features.
"What's the name?"
"There isn't one, it's unnamed."
Unnamed, kinda has a cool sound to it.
"You can't do that! Magic swords are super rare!"
I use my map search to verify Arisa's claim, but there are least ten or so in each city. Oyugok City even has over a hundred magic weapons.
"In that case, you two can come up with the name for me."
I dump all the responsibility on Mia and Arisa and continue on to make a second magic sword. Then, I make a magic spear and magic polearm, both with stun gun features.
"Ame-no-Habakiri and Soul Eater."
"Mu, [Verdant Green Sun], [Winter Wind]."
"These are going to be sold, so don't make the name that fancy."
As I tell them about that restriction, I start adding a mythril coating to the magic weapons.
"Jeez, you should have told us that first."
"My bad."
I apologize at Arisa's reasonable complaint, and then test out the stun gun feature of the magic spear.
It seems to be a fairly light shock. I'll go test it out on some monsters later.
"Wow, it shoots lightning?"
"It's about as weak as a stun gun though."
"In that case, I have the perfect name for you."
At Arisa's words I brace myself a little, but her idea wasn't that bad.
The magic weapons were given the names of World War II era Japanese destroyer ships. I wonder to myself who their new owners will be, and what feats they will accomplish.
(TL Note: Ikazuchi and Inazuma are the names of WW2 ships and they mean thunder and lightning in Japanese)
But that's something only a god would know, so there is no way for me to find out.
I can only hope they will at least be of use to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment