Featured Post

Death March EX

Translations for all side stories that were included in Vol EX of the light novel. Some of these were also uploaded to the author's blo...

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Karina and Raka

"I'm going to be a hero!"
When Father asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up, that's apparently what I said.
How very fitting for me.
As I grew older, my dream changed from "hero" to "hero's follower". Then, when I realized how difficult it was to be a hero's follower, I simply stopped talking about my dreams.
Father doesn't say it out loud, but I know he wants me to marry into another territory's family. He needs me to support our family's future.
I should be doing bridal training rather than playing around with combat training, but I can't bring myself to do it. Even now, I continue with my mock training in the backyard.
Then, one day--
I was a little thirsty after training for a while, so I headed to one of the fruit trees in the backyard.
"...I see, so the resurrection of the His Majesty the Demon Lord is almost in sight?"
My heart almost stops as I overhear the ominous conversation.
One of the people talking is the consul for the Muno Barony. His eyes are so scary that I sometimes have sleepless nights when he glares at me.
The person he's talking to is blocked from view and I can't see them very well.
Wait. From behind the tree, I manage to catch a glimpse of a black demonic form.
I flinch and take a step back. Unfortunately, my foot lands on a small twig.
The dry snapping sound echoes through the trees.
"Who's there?!"
I dash off upon hearing the consul's voice.
This yard is where I have spent my entire life, so I have complete knowledge of where everything is.
I dive through a gap in the hedges, jump over a fallen tree, and slip through a hole in the wall.
I should be able to hide here in the abandoned building-- is what I had thought. However, I had more misfortune waiting for me.
Suddenly, I feel like I am floating and my vision starts rotating. A short while afterwards, I feel a sharp pain.
"Such a fool... Falling to death before I could kill them."
I turn my head up and see the consul and a monstrous figure looking down on me.
"THEY STILL LIVE?"
"It's just a matter of time."
After the short conversation, the two leave. It appears that the floor of the abandoned building broke under my weight, dropping me down into the bottom level. My body hurts all over, and I can barely move my fingers.
Ah... I'm going to die...
As I lie on the cold stone floor, that thought passes through my head and I start to give up.
However, another thought comes up to counter it.
--I don't want to die yet. I haven't accomplished anything.
"...S-someone, h-help me."
I use all my remaining willpower to force out those words, and there was someone who responded.
"--Girl. Do you desire power?"
That was how I met Raka.

No comments:

Post a Comment