Featured Post

Death March EX

Translations for all side stories that were included in Vol EX of the light novel. Some of these were also uploaded to the author's blo...

Thursday, May 21, 2020

Karina's Melancholy: Combat

"Tama and Pochi have it so well."
"What's wrong~?"
"Pochi will listen nanodesu."
At the Muno Castle training grounds, Karina-sama begins complaining to Tama and Pochi with a depressed look on her face.
Apparently, the three were training with the other soldiers a little while ago.
"Tell us~?"
"Let it all out nanodesu."
Tama and Pochi look up to Karina-sama with earnest expressions.
"Zotol told me I have no talent with the sword."
Karina-sama whispers quietly as if she was in pain.
Zotol-san is an ex-knight and the head instructor of the soldiers, so what he says is probably right.
"Tama gets it~?"
"Pochi can't do anything nanodesu."
Tama and Pochi abandon Karina-sama instantly.
This appears to be pretty heartless of them, but they are currently looking at the pile of broken wooden practice swords shoved into a corner.
"What happened?"
"Snappy snap~."
"Karina broke all of them nanodesu."
The two run over to hug my legs as they tell me what happened during training.
I guess Karina-sama used too much force and ended up destroying all of the practice swords.
"I-I didn't do it on purpose!"
"I wasn't thinking that you did."
It looks like she is clumsy in more ways than one.
"Could you do the training without Raka's strength boost?"
"Satou-dono, that's not possible."
"It's not?"
"Karina-dono is a sheltered noble lady. Without my assistance, she would lack the strength to swing a practice sword."
I see. She may be level 7, but she's a noble that has never experienced real training or combat.
"In that case, maybe she can practice with a dulled metal sword instead?"
Karina-sama should be able to do that easily with Raka's help.
"That's... Well, look over there."
After hearing Raka's words, Tama and Pochi point to a different corner.
There are a few iron swords lying on the ground, bent and twisted.
It seems like she is more clumsy than I had thought.
"Don't worry about it, Karina-sama."
"Uu, S-Satou."
Karina-sama unusually calls me by first name, and looks at me with her as if I was her last hope.
"You can just try using a more durable weapon, like a mace or crowbar."
Maybe a bat would work too.
From the training area's weapon storage, I take out a large mace and heavy flail and bring them over to Karina-sama.
"Zotol said the same thing... Uu... S-stupid Satou!"
As if she was a spoiled child making a tantrum, Karina-sama shouts that as she dashes off. She is incredibly fast when boosted by Raka's power.
Tama and Pochi shout as they chase after her.
"Karina~?" "Wait nanodesu."
It looks like I may have struck a tender spot.
I walk over and pick up three of the swords that Karina-sama broke.
"Since I have access to the castle's workshop now, I might be able to use these to make a more durable sword. That way, it won't break no matter how hard she swings it."
I mutter those words to myself as I walk over to the blacksmith area.

No comments:

Post a Comment