Featured Post

Death March EX

Translations for all side stories that were included in Vol EX of the light novel. Some of these were also uploaded to the author's blo...

Thursday, May 21, 2020

Lulu's Cooking Practice

"First, try cutting these gabo fruit."
Today, Master and I are practicing our cooking under Gert, Muno Castle's head chef.
"Lulu, be careful not to cut yourself."
"Y-yes!"
These small and hard gabo fruit are difficult to cut.
I take a glance at Master and he is slicing them up with beautiful knifework. We are using the same kind of knife, so I wonder what he is doing differently.
The other kitchen maids seem to have the same opinion--.
"Ah, Head Chef, look! Look!"
"I didn't know gabo fruit could be cut so easily!"
"Chevalier-sama is amazing!"
--The female chefs are all staring at Master's handiwork and gasping in surprise.
This makes me feel proud of my Master, but also a bit disappointed in myself.
"Lulu, let me borrow your knife for a bit and I'll sharpen it for you."
"Y-yes."
Master must have been unable to keep watching me struggle, and he kindly offers his help.
"A cook must be able to handle her own knife-- Huh? Did you already finish sharpening it?"
"Yes, I just made some minor touches to the blade."
Before Head Chef Gert could finish her complaint, Master returns the sharpened knife to me.
Is it just me, or is the knife's edge sparkling just a little bit?
"Lulu, try cutting now."
"Y-yes!"
As Master cheers me on with a smile, I bring my knife down onto the gabo fruit.
--*cut*
I hear a clean cutting sound as the knife slices through without resistance.
It's as if by magic, all my earlier troubles have disappeared. I easily cut the gabo fruit into fine pieces.
As expected from Master.
He must have asked the cooking spirits to bless the knife with sharpness!
"Not bad. Let's move on to the pre-cooking."
As Head Chef Gert says that, she starts mixing soy sauce, mirin, and shredded herbs.
After that, we are supposed to soak the chopped gabo fruit in the mixture for half of a day. Apparently, that mitigates the gabo fruit's characteristic bitterness.
"Listen up. Love is the most important thing in preparing food."
"Yes! I understand!"
"Really? Then prove it! If you can manage this, then you'll become a great cook."
With Head Chef Gert's encouragement, I perform the ritual that Arisa taught me.
"Be tast~y, be tast~y."
I perform the chant as I make a heart mark with my hands.
I felt embarrassed enough to die, but Master looked happy and even called me cute!
Ehehe~. Next, I'll make sure he says my food is delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment