Featured Post

Death March EX

Translations for all side stories that were included in Vol EX of the light novel. Some of these were also uploaded to the author's blo...

Friday, May 22, 2020

The Black-Haired Nobleman

"What's wrong with Rina-sama?"
"She's been like that ever since the last dance party."
Sister and Teena-sama, the lady from the house of Viscount Blates, are having a conversation. But, the words just go through one ear and out the other.
Recently, I've just been feeling unsteady and helpless.
"For Viscount Emerin's daugher, an appropriate partner would probably be from one of the Twelve Houses. Maybe Tislad-sama's second wife?"
"No way, if someone is going to be marrying a future duke, I'd jump in and take her place."
"I guess that's true... In addition to his status, he seems to be a good person too."
As I absent-mindedly listen to Sister's conversation, a maid comes into the room carrying a tea tray.
"--How much sugar would you like?" (TL Note: Sugar is pronounced as 'satou' in Japanese.)
"Teena-sama will have one."
My heart skips a beat as I hear the exchange between the maid and Teena-sama's attendant.
...Sugar, just sugar.
There's nothing to be flustered over.
That's right, sugar is just something you add to make something sweet--.
"Sugar."
I almost jump out of my chair when Sister whispers that word into my ear.
"Hmm, so it's as I thought."
Sister has a smile on her face, as if she was a kitten that just found a new plaything.
"What you thought?"
Teena-sama! Please, just drop this subject!
My prayer falls on deaf ears, and Sister looks at me with renewed confidence in her eyes.
"It's the black-haired one, right?"
"S-Satou-sama and I aren't like that!"
"Hmm, so his name is Satou then."
--No! I fell right into Sister's trap...
"Satou? I feel like I've heard that-- I remember now! Honorary Chevalier Satou Pendragon, the champion at the defense of Muno City."
"Champion? --Wait, the one who saved Muno city when it was surrounded by tens of thousands of demons and monsters?"
After hearing Teena-sama's words, Sister jumps up and starts shouting.
Even though she is always going on about being 'lady-like'.
No, no, now's not the time to be thinking about that.
Anyways, that gentle-looking young man wouldn't do something so wild.
It must be someone else with the same name.
"The guests are here. Is everyone ready?"
Then, Mother returned from checking on the preparations for the tea party.
"So? Anyone catching your eye today?"
"Just Sir Pendragon, the person we were talking about earlier. The rest are just the old families that have nothing but their pedigrees."
Sister continues the conversation as we follow Mother. Her words are just a bit lacking in courtesy.
"Being new is great and all, but Chevalier and Viscount are just too far apart, so I'm not interested."
"He's younger than me, so I'm not that interested either."
Not interested-- For some reason, my chest gets a bit lighter after hearing Sister say those words.
I feel as though I have grown wings on my back as I start humming on the way there.
As I step into the tea party area, I see a black-haired young man greeting Mother. Then, Satou-sama turns to face me.
"Hello Rina-sama. Thank you very much for having me today."
Even though Satou-sama is only two years older than me, his aura of maturity makes my heart beat faster.
--*thump*
That sound in my chest might have been the start of my love--.

No comments:

Post a Comment