Featured Post

Death March EX

Translations for all side stories that were included in Vol EX of the light novel. Some of these were also uploaded to the author's blo...

Saturday, May 23, 2020

Omurice March

"Mu, bad."
Despite this red fruit's appealing appearance, it didn't taste very good. It was bad.
The outer part was okay if you ignore the slight sourness, but the insides of it were soggy and disgusting. It was unpleasant.
"It would be better if it was less ripe, just like the beautiful young Arisa-chan."
"I'll agree with that, ignoring that last part."
"Oh come on!"
Arisa and Satou seem to like the tomatoes. They are eating a lot of it, and are in a good mood. It's like these two are in their own world and I feel a little jealous. Just a little though.
"Mia, you didn't like it that much?"
"Nn."
I nod my head at Satou's question.
"Then, let me put a little spell on it."
"Spell?"
Satou can't even chant, but he's talented at magic. Really good.
"That's right, a spell to make you love them."
Satou says that with a happy smile. I like looking at his smiling face, it makes me feel warm and happy inside. Very much so.

"--Mu?"
Satou's cooking is always delicious, but it seems strange today. It's different.
He peels the tomatoes and starts squishing them.
"Ketchup?"
"I think it's closer to tomato puree."
Arisa and Satou are talking about something that I don't understand again. It's unfair that they're leaving me out. Include me too.
"Mia, stop rubbing your head against my body like that. That's dangerous when I'm in the middle of cooking, so save it for afterwards."
"Nn, I'll wait."
He transfers the tomato puree to a container and starts cooking something else with a frying pan. At the nice smell of butter, my stomach starts rumbling.
I hear the rumbling of the flames on the stove, and the cutting sound of Satou's knifework.
The sizzling sound of the butter in the frying pan sounds like that of a clapping audience.
"Good smell~?"
"The smell of happiness nanodesu."
Tama and Pochi's stomachs are also rumbling. As I listen to the sounds of Satou's cooking, I begin to play my lute. Tama and Pochi start singing along as well.
"Pilaf?"
"Not quite, watch this."
He takes the pilaf on the frying pan and pours in the tomato puree from earlier. It gets dyed in an orange color and a gentle sweet aroma fills the air.
"Done~?"
"Just a little bit more."
Satou cracks open an egg with one hand, and fries it to a very thin layer. He wraps the completed pilaf with the thin fried egg and spins it around. As if by magic, the pilaf fits in cleanly.
"Egg roll pilaf nanodesu!"
"This is called omurice. Then put on the rest of the tomato puree... and it's all done."
Satou must be a master of cooking magic. From the yellow stage of the omurice, a red bunny drawn with tomato puree smiles out at me.
My first omurice was the flavor of happiness, just like Tama and Pochi had said. It was delicious and blissful.
Of course, omurice is now one of my favorite dishes. Really!

No comments:

Post a Comment